Tuesday, June 15, 2010
The Bachelorette: Episode 4, The Musical
Last night's Bachelorette was highly entertaining. I especially enjoyed all the singing (please note, I did not say GOOD singing).
Ali and her suitors have left L.A. behind and started their "love around the world" tour in New York City. **Side note: I have only been there twice. Once with my college choir where I literally ran down the streets of Times Square while I snapped pictures. Another for a friend's wedding. I would like to go back and actually have time to be a tourist and have people ask me to say random words because of my Tennessee accent**
Ali started the trip by having a makeover. I like that she is down-to-earth and says she normally wears sneakers, jeans, and a loose t-shirt. The clothes they dressed her in were smashing. Every girly girl's dream.
Now onto the dates...and I will skip the first one-on-one date for now so I can save the best for last (by "best" I mean most entertaining).
For the group date the guys got to audition for time with Ali by dancing and singing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from The Lion King. This was on the actual stage with the actual producer and choreographer watching. So not intimidating at all, I'm sure. Also, Ali was not feeling very well on this date. She was visibly sick and getting worse by the minute.
Ty: The TN boy. He had broken out his guitar before, and he's a decent singer. But he did not wow enough to win the prize tonight.
Frank: Not a great singer, so he didn't win either. But Ali likes him a lot. You can tell. He later took her outside for a romantic stroll in the rain and they kissed under their umbrellas. She tried to reassure him of her feelings. And Frank is apparently not a germaphobe since the fact that she was ill didn't seem to bother him at all.
Craig: Couldn't sing a lick. He later told Ali that he believes it will be him and her in the end. Not to be rude, but I totally disagree. She doesn't seem very interested in him.
Kirk: Another one who will never have a singing career. But he proved his worth in the "I'll take care of you when you're sick" category when he walked Ali to her hotel room at the end of the night and tucked her in bed. Very G-rated, unlike last week's video shoot in the bedsheets.
Jonathan: The weatherman didn't make much of an impression on Ali during the auditions. And when he tried to get some alone time later she was more interested in finishing her conversation with Craig. Poor guy. He spent most of the episode wondering what he should do to better his chances with Ali. Later at the rose ceremony, he thought the answer to that was to serenade her with song on his guitar. It did not bode well for him in the end.
Jesse: This boy can saaang! He was the best by far, but he was not chosen as the winner.
Roberto: Mr. Suave' didn't have the greatest voice, but he won for one reason only: he was the only one who looked at Ali when he sang. His prize was sharing the stage with Ali during a performance (although I believe it was really during dress rehearsal). They were attached to wires and lifted above the stage while they did various air poses to show a couple in love. If one thing was proven during this date it's that none of these guys nor Ali has missed a Broadway calling. But I did enjoy seeing Roberto in his jungle costume. Perhaps this is the real reason he won?
Ali didn't give out a rose during the group date as usual because she felt so sick. I like how Ali doesn't seem to feel pressured to hand out a rose unless she really feels like it. However she didn't let sickness keep her from handing out a couple of kisses.
Onto the last one-on-one date. It was with Chris L from Cape Cod. I've said it before, I like him, and after last night I like him even more. Ali was so sick at this point that she wasn't up for going out as planned, so he came to hang out in her room instead. Chris showed up with flowers and chicken noodle soup. Aw! He is out to prove he is husband material.
They had a sweet conversation about his mom who passed away, then later Ali felt up to going out. She took him to a private club where they had dinner. He shared with her that his mom told him before she died to "look for her in rainbows" and then there was a huge rainbow at her funeral. He had tears in his eyes, and Ali was deeply moved. Then she let him call his dad because it was Chris' birthday. By the phone conversation she could tell they are very close. Then she and Chris headed up to the roof for a private concert by someone I can't remember. They danced and shared their first kiss.
I think one of the things I like most about Chris and Ali is the slow progression. She may not have been as into him at first as she was Roberto and Frank, but they are developing a real connection. I still say he will be one of the final two, if not the final one.
Now onto the highlight of the show. The first one-on-one date with Kasey. I fear after last night he may now be nicknamed Krazy Kasey. As much as I would like to, I will not go into the whole thing. But I can sum it up in one word: cheese. This guy can probably quote every prince's line from every Disney movie ever made. Ali doubted that he is being real with her. She wants to know the real Kasey. I'm not sure Kasey himself knows who that is. But there's one thing Kasey does know...and that's how to make up a tuneless, rhymeless song on the spot. He proved so not once, but twice on this date.
If you haven't seen this for yourself, I beg of you, get thee to abc.com and watch this segment toute suite! http://abc.go.com/watch/the-bachelorette/SH5556990/VD5571339/week-4-part-1
'Toute suite" means "right away" in French. I took four years in high school and that's one of the few things I have to show for it.
Anyhoo Kasey didn't receive a rose on this date because Ali wasn't sure enough to give him one...but she asked him to stick around until the rose ceremony. He agreed but was visibly hurt that she doubts his sincerity. So much so that a couple of days later he decided to do something to prove he is bent on being Ali's heart protector. He got a tattoo on his wrist of a heart with a shield. Yeah, THAT'S not weird. Not at all. He came back to the hotel with a bandaged wrist and told the other guys it was from a burn. They seemed skeptical, especially Justin rated R.
Rose cermony time. Ali decided to send Jonathan and Jesse home. It's pretty clear why she didn't choose the weatherman, but when she didn't pick Jesse I could hear the gasps and collective "NO!"s around town from my sofa. Really though, Ali's reasoning made sense. He is a country boy. She is a city girl. They weren't a good match. In the limo exit interview, Jesse said he can't wait to see his dogs. Something tells me Jesse is going to be just fine.
I would like to take this opportunity to say I like a country boy.
Just a couple of other points, if you're still here (and if so, thank you for bearing with this lengthy post): Chris N may be the first guy in the history of The Bachelorette who has lasted this long without uttering two sentences since the first episode. There were times last night that I had to remind myself he is indeed one of the suitors instead of a crew guy who wandered onto the set during production. And for all the Justin drama last week, not much was heard from him last night. Other than he was the one who pushed Kasey to reveal his tattoo to the other guys. Bet we'll hear more from him next week though.
Why Ali decided to keep Kasey I'm not sure. But I can't wait to see Ali's reaction when he shows her his tattoo. Something tells me - something like logic - it may not have the effect he's hoping for...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment